Title: A Day Without Rules
Author: Billy Boston, Illustrated by Joel McNatt
Description: A classroom of children get to see the effects of not having rules for the day. They learn to see the importance of respecting each other.
Why I like this story: A good story for the preschool/kindergarten classroom, as the story provides situations that kids can really relate to, along with great illustrations to help with understanding of emotions. Our social groups have really enjoyed this story, and has led to great discussion.
- social skills/ pragmatic language
- perspective taking
- prediction skills
- early narrative language, retelling
- Role play the various situations that happen in the story (i.e. purposely knocking over a block tower, grabbing objects out of hands, etc.), and discuss characters feelings and thoughts. Exaggerate and discuss body language. Have children act out the “right” way and the “way without rules.” Great for discussion and practice of social appropriate responses/actions
- Use bubble thoughts to discuss what characters are thinking and why
- Have students generate what rules they would want to live without. Great for prediction skills…What might happen if we don’t have to keep our cubby clean? Not wash our hands before snack? Take toys/books home? etc. Students can even generate their own stories around not having these rules and the effects. Create the stories on story creation apps like Toontastic or Book Creator.
- Great for early narrative skills. Clear characters, settings and initiating events. Pair with Mindwing Concepts story grammar marker or Story Grammar Marker (SGM) App.
Submitted by Meghan G. Graham M.S. CCC-SLP It is noted that all4mychild was provided with a copy of this story for review. However, options expressed are our own and no other compensation was provided. *Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.
Support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
*Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.