Title: Apple Farmer Annie
Author: Monica Wellington
Description: Annie is an apple farmer, and uses her apples for everything, from picking to cooking, to selling at a farmer’s market! Available in spanish and english all in one book.
- Vocabulary (Fall themed, curriculum)
- Narrative (retelling, generating)
Why I like this book: A simple story that introduces fall themed vocabulary. Kids can usually relate to apple picking, so a good story for eliciting language.
Ideas for this book:
- Introduce fall vocabulary with this story
- Tie to curriculum vocabulary especially around various kinds of apples, planting, etc. There are so many “apple” activity websites on the web. Here are a couple I found: Apple vocabulary and activities, Apple Themed Ideas
- A good story to generate a personal narrative about a child’s own experience going to the apple farm. Help students create their own story. You can use the Story Patch App to create, then send home to parents via email.
- A simple sequential story to have children “retell” using pictures as support. Encourage temporal markers (first, then, next, after that, etc.)
- For a slightly more complex narrative, or when introducing story grammar elements, tie to the Story Grammar Marker through Mindwingconcepts. I did this with a client who is new to “Braidy”….
- Bring in real apples and incorporate some “compare and contrast” activities, tie to the EET (expanding expression tool) for creating semantic networks and description, categorization, etc.
- Use apple for following directions (red apples, small apples. big apples, green apples). Have them put in, on, under, etc. varying the complexity of your directions.
- The story is available in both spanish and english (with a provided dictionary). Great for classrooms or students who speak Spanish, or are early spanish learners.
Submitted by; Meghan G. Graham M.S. CCC-SLP
Please support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
*Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.