Title: Being Benny
Author: Dan Wetzel
Age: preschool, elementary school
Description: Benny escapes the boredom he is experiencing on a rainy day by using his imagination…
• Problem solving
• Motor planning
Why I like this book: Benny uses his imagination rather than “screens” to make his day more interesting. I like to use this book to talk about using the brain as a tool for eliminating boredom.
Ideas for use:
• After reading, talk with kids about what they would like to be. This can be broken down into categories. (e.g. vehicle, food, clothing, animal)
• After kids have talked about what they would like to be, see if each child can remember one thing a friend wanted to be.
• Discuss similarities in what kids in the group would choose to be or do to build friend files.
• Play charades acting out the pictures in the book.
• Find out what the kids do on rainy days and help them think about other ways to use their imaginations for fun.
Submitted by: Jill Perry, MHA, MS, OTR/L
Please support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
*Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.