Title: Being Frank
Author: Donna W Earnhardt
Illustrator: Andrea Castellani
Description: Frank learns that “being honest” can be tricky business. A wise grandpa suggests that “more sugar and less pepper” is often the best way to go…
- Social skills, especially being honest yet kind
- Body Language
- Perspective Taking
- Narrative Language
Why I Like This Book: This book provides a fun and engaging way to discuss a nuanced topic. I really appreciate the catch phrase, “more sugar less pepper” that is introduced in this book. Also, the illustrations are fantastic!
Ideas for Use:
- This is a great book to introduce the topic of being honest and kind to kids who may have difficulty with this concept. There are several scenarios presented which offer opportunities to discuss how the other person might feel and to brainstorm another approach. The introduction of the catch phrase, “more sugar less pepper” then provides a way for kids to apply this same approach to new situations.
- In a group setting, this book is wonderful for acting out. Kids can work on body language and facial expression to relate their emotions, both when their feelings are hurt and then later when they feel validated.
- This is also a great book for discussing Social Behavior Mapping (Garcia-Winner). Frank certainly feels much happier when his friends are happy with him because he treated them more kindly..
- Once kids have the experience of acting out the book and they are familiar with “more sugar less pepper,” have two kids at a time act out a brief scenario. Include the other kids by having them give a thumbs up if the child is honest and kind and if not, have the audience say, “more sugar less pepper.”
- This book is also great to use to work on figurative language. The idea of “more sugar less pepper” can be explored both literally and figuratively. Then additional idioms can be explored by generating brief scenarios that would incorporate both the literal and figurative meanings.
- The scenarios in this book are also good for inferencing and predicting.
- The narrative structure and story retell can be made more fun by using the Story Grammar Marker App from MindwingConcepts. This app gives kids the chance to be a newscaster and to tell the exciting story of Being Frank. Kids can even record their “newscast” and share with others over email!
Submitted by: Karen S Head, MS, CCC-SLP
Support books4all and order this book from our Amazon Store. Thank you!
*Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.