Title: Do You Want To Be My Friend?
Author: Eric Carle
Description: A lonely mouse is looking for a friend to play with. He has to ask a lot of animals before he finds the right one.
- Early Inferencing/Predicting
- /s/ production (final word position)
- Animal Vocabulary
- Why Questions and Reasoning
- Early Narrative/ Retelling
- Friendship or Social Skills
Why I like this book: It’s a simple, mainly wordless book that kids love and can be adapted for a number of speech, language or social goals across ages.
Ideas for use:
- Have children predict what animal is coming next. The tail of each animal is shown before the actual animal. Have them make guesses.
- Great for possession. The Elephant‘s tail, the Seal’s tail, etc. Good for part/whole relationships as well.
- Great for /s/ targets. Can adapt to word, sentence levels. Mouse, mice, all final position possession (snake’s, peacock’s, etc.)
- Why questions and reasoning. WHY isn’t the horse a good fit for the mouse? (grumpy or too big) WHY isn’t the elephant a good fit for the mouse? (too big, would be hard to play with, etc.). WHY isn’t the snake a good fit? (he would eat the mouse!) Because it’s wordless, have kids predict what the animal is likely say to the mouse. Can add in tone of voice discussion as well.
- Print pictures of the animals, or use toy animals and have children sequence the story. Add in temporal markers such as first, next, then, etc.
- Have children “act” out the story. If in a group, many animals to re-enact. If not in a group, provide a toy mouse or have the child be the toy mouse and ask other “animals” to play in the accurate order.
- For a social group- good for discussion around joining others play. It doesn’t always work out. Good to discuss this concept and what makes a good friend. The mouse doesn’t give up, and eventually finds a “good match” for a friend.
Submitted by: Meghan G. Graham M.S. CCC-SLP
Please support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.