Title: Far to the North
Author/Illustrator: Gina Ricci
Description: A sweet celebration of the polar bear and the beauty of the North Pole.
- early description skills
- early sequencing
- introduction to North Pole and Northern Lights
- /r/ production
What I like about this book: The story is quite short and sweet and the illustrations are delightful.
Ideas for this book:
- For early talkers, encourage them to “read” the book by describing each page. The illustrations are great for generating subject-verb utterances.
- While reading this book, pause to have the child fill in the rhyming word
- For older children, this beautiful book could be used as an introduction to a on the North Pole, including the Northern Lights
- For kids working on /r/ words, this book offers a short, sweet opportunity to practice. Targets include: polar, bear, northern, stare, far, north, mystery, bright and star.
- If you are looking for some additional help with facilitating /r/ development, here are some awesome resources:
- Entire World of R Activity Books.
- Having them watch a video which is available online courtesy of the University of Iowa Speech Pathology Department
- Some of the ideas presented by Pamela Marshalla in her book, Successful R Therapy.