Title: Haunted Party
Author: Iza Trapani
Description: A rhyming story about a Halloween party with lots of spooky guests. They get a surprise when 10 children show up to “trick or treat.”
- Phonological Awareness (rhyming)
- Vocabulary (Halloween)
- Verbs (present and past)
Why I like this book: The pictures are awesome, which elicits lots of language from students. There are goblins with pointy, dirty ears, who eat worms and eyeballs. Perfect for kids to comment on and laugh.
Ideas for this book:
- The entire book is in rhyme. Have children fill in the “blank” at the ends of phrases. Provide the initial phoneme, can they predict the rhyming word? (i.e.what a night, the bats take flllllll______(flight)). Use google images, board maker, etc. to make visuals of these rhyming pairs for additional practice, rhyme generation of the pattern (i.e. flight, sight, might, etc.), or home programming. Pair with Rhyming apps such as What Rhymes? or Pocket Phonics App for additional practice
- This is a great book to expose kids to Halloween vocabulary: skeletons, goblins, vampires, ghosts, witches, bats , monsters, ghouls and more. Pair with any of these great apps recommended by The Speech Guy here
- The characters partake in many different activities- great for children working on present progressive verbs (i.e. carving pumpkins, eating worms, bobbing for apples, etc.) or have students retell and focus on the past tense. The great detailed pictures are great to elicit
- If students are going to Halloween parties and need support as to what to expect- a great story to model activities they may experience. Pair with a social story app like Stories2learn, Pictello, or Story Patch
- There is one clear inference at the end of the story that children can make using picture clues and knowledge. Can pair with the Mindwingconcepts approach to inferencing “remember, know and guess” to help students put the pieces together.
- Charlesbridge Publishers (local to Boston;) provides a “plan your own Halloween party” worksheet here
Submitted by; Meghan G. Graham M.S. CCC-SLP
Please support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
*Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.