Title: Should I Share My Ice Cream?
Author: Mo Willems
Description: The beloved elephant, Gerald, labors over the decision whether to share his ice cream with friend, Piggie. Should he or shouldn’t he….?
- Body language/facial expressions
- Perspective taking
Why I like this story: A beautiful story about Gerald who doesn’t want to share his ice cream but knows it would be the friendly thing to do. He thinks about what Piggie might be feeling and makes a decision. The twist at the end is the icing on the cake (or the whipped cream on the ice cream)!
Ideas for use:
- Great book to lead off discussion about why we share and how it makes us feel.
- Talk about Gerald’s facial expressions and body language and how that communicates what he is thinking and feeling.
- Kids may want to act out Gerald’s exaggerated body language and see if others can guess what they are feeling or thinking.
- Have kids predict what Gerald will decide based on his page by page reasoning.
- Discuss how Gerald feels when the plans change unexpectedly. What does Gerald do? What would the kids listening to the story do?
Submitted by: Jill Perry, MHA, MS, OTR/L
Please support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.