Author: Nancy Mucklow
Age: pre-teens and teens
Description: An instructional resource book for pre-teens and teens with sensory processing disorder
- Explains the brain-body connection
- Teaches about the 7 senses including muscle sense and gravity sense
- Describes impact of SPD on social and emotional well-being
- Teaches strategies for managing sensory needs
- Workbook pages are included throughout the book to provide opportunity for reflection and personalization
Why I like this book: The concepts are presented in teen-friendly language with cartoony illustrations and humor along the way.
Ideas for use:
- Helpful for children who are newly diagnosed with SPD in later elementary years. Also good for kids who were diagnosed early but are ready to go a little deeper into issues and solutions
- Great teaching tool for parent and child together to promote understanding and communication
- Share with teachers and therapists
- Use in a book group format for small groups of kids or in parent-child book group
Submitted by: Jill Perry, MHA, MS, OTR/L
Please support books4all and order this book from Amazon.com. Thank you!
*Like this review and activities? Check out the Social Adventures App for more activities for children.